Measures taken in line with the UK Government Covid-19 guidelines
- Ensuring safe social distancing through spacing in the cafe between parties.
- In all cases, table and groups can’t mingle.
- Maximum group of 6.
- Staff will wear masks, as must customers when not seated at their table to eat or drink.
- Protective screens where needed.
- Food and drinks may only be consumed while seated.
- For Take-away orders we kindly ask you to wait outside, and we will issue your order as it is complete.
- Implementation of NHS COVID-19 track and trace system.
- Enhanced cleaning and hygiene practices introduced with increased frequency of our already thorough cleaning routines. Especially in handling produce and surfaces that are often in contact with hands (eg door handles, taps and soap containers).
- Java Whiskers always maintain good hygiene with hand washing and hand disinfection for all guests. During these times we are extra careful.
- Customers with any signs of illness will be kindly denied entry.
- If you feel any symptoms of illness, please stay at home.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to reschedule your visit.
What is a cat café?
Java Whiskers is a café where approximately 10 cats stay with us until they are adopted, their usual stay with us is 2 months. It’s for everyone who wants to spend some time with cats and perhaps adopt one or two of them.
Can I bring my cat?
Unfortunately not, resident cats only.
Can I buy a gift card?
Yes! And It’s a great present for someone you love. You can buy one here.
Why is it advised that I should make a booking?
We recommend booking ahead as the cat lounge has a limited number of seats. While you could try a ‘drop-in’, the only way to guarantee your spot is to book in advance through our online booking. Bookings can be made here. Demand is often high, so to avoid disappointment we recommend to book well in advance.
Where do the cats come from, and how are they selected?
Our cats come from our partnering cat shelter “The Scratching post”, in Walthamn Abbey, they also make the selection of the cats that come to Java Whiskers.
Why are children under 10 not allowed?
We have to guarantee a safe and calm environment for our cats.
How do you ensure the cats wellbeing in an environment with lots of people?
The cats wellbeing is not only our top priority but also it’s constantly being monitored through regular visits made by our veterinarian. Furthermore, for the daily check-ups, our staff use bespoke checklists designed by Elin Hirsch, who holds a Ph.D. in Ethology (the scientific and objective study of animal behaviour). Our cats can withdraw to a secluded area at any time where they have everything they need, this way their interaction with human beings is voluntary and on their own terms.
Is there anything to eat or drink at Java Whiskers?
Yes, we offer a range of sandwiches and pastries. There are vegan, gluten-free and lactose-free alternatives!
Do carers enter for free?
Yes! If your profession is helping a person in need of daily assistance for physical or mental disabilities, you as the carer get to visit us cost free as you and your employer come for a cat café visit. Send us an email at email@example.com to add a carer slot to your booking as you’ve made the reservation for the rest of the company through our website.